Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The wonders of Modern Technology

Korea is generally more advanced technologically than the US. This is in part because their economy became strong about 20 years ago, and many of the buildings we've been in are probably less than 10 years old--much easier to build with the new technology then to retrofit the old ones. All of the apartments we've been in have a video feed to the entry ways. We were thoroughly confused by our first 'touch to open' automatic door, and had to watch a young child make it work before I even knew what it was. The GPS in their cars know were road work is happening, and beep at you when the roads are dangerous. Their internet is super fast-but they don't use wireless networks nearly as often as I'm used to.
I've been thinking a lot about technology this trip, mainly when it does not work. I had the hardest time getting my laptop online, because logging on required a username and password, and I couldn't figure it out enough to help my hosts who were less technologically advanced than I was. My camera's lens cover likes to stick, my laptop is as useful as a brick somedays. For a few days I was completely unconnected, and was almost adjusted to the feeling. Then I was reconnected, and spent a few hours sitting in the tidal wave of things that needed to be done. The wave has subsided, and we're aiming for a few days of what passes for normalcy in Korea. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment